Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Never will understand


The day didn't begin until I went up to the small shelf in the kitchen and took some holy ash to put on my forehead. This was followed by a small chant and a bow. It was a simple ritual and I did it every single day.
I don't remember when I dropped this habit and certainly don't think there was a reason why. But I do know that when I did this in my childhood, it was not an act which involved reasoning or thinking. To this day even the thought of the act gives me a pleasant feeling of being calm. I am always reminded of the innocent hope that was in my mind at that time in the past and of the funnily silly happiness that I had almost all the time (when I was not angry with homework)
That the whole world has so many conflicts based on what to me was and is a set of simple rituals and a means to feel hopeful or calm or happy is just beyond my capacity to understand.

No comments: