Monday, February 11, 2013

Disconnection

There is a low thundering roar from a distance and I know that it comes from a dozen cars on the highway. I try harder at the pedal to get home sooner and away from the freezing cold. There is no one around me and a chill runs down my spine - literally too. I decide to make the most of the situation and help myself by singing as loudly as I can. My own voice bounces off the frozen pavements and parked cars before coming right back to me. The low thundering roar increases in intensity as I get closer to the highway and I can now differentiate the individual cars passing by. Each one hurtles away from in space heading towards a destination far away while the people are trapped in their own spaces, where they can sing and have their voice bounce back to them. The sight of me, a strange bundled creature wobbling down on my bicycle must also impress them in the same way. Maybe they think the same thoughts as me. Maybe that is the connection we have even if we have not shared a single word between us and in all likelihood never will.

No comments: