Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A writer

I was drinking some coffee today morning. I hate coffee and I cannot imagine why or how people put themselves through that torture and believe that they actually like it!
I had sat down before drinking. So I did not realise that I had not put my big helping of sugar into it(it usually covers its ugly taste). It was worse than usual. But I was too lazy to go back into the kitchen to take sugar. Why drink it if you don't like it you may ask... well, maybe because
  1. I like torturing myself!!!!(I am just joking.That is totally not true!)
  2. I made some extra coffee and just hate wasting stuff(the goodie goodie me)
  3. I wanted to write about it in my blog that off late is getting a lot of traffic!!!!!!You know... spread some more wisdom in the world (The saintly me)
  4. I was just giving my dad some company(which as you may guess is the right answer!)

:D

To more serious stuff:

I tried to imagine how I would describe the experience in words. This is what popped into my head..
"The steam rises into my face and it feels good in this cold weather. I smell it and remember trips to the market as a child, passing through the lane where the coffee vendor ground his coffee. I was intrigued by what coffee would be like especially because it was banned for me then! I slowly sip it. It is hot. The flavour is there. It is strong, milky coffee. The taste spreads in my mouth. It tastes bitter and slightly ... umm err umm"
Stop of thought flow. I don't know what to call this taste. Is it... salty? It is strong. It is bitter. It has no sugar at all. The taste registers. I still remember its taste. But I simply cannot explain it in words. My inefficiency? Or the lack of words in the language.I tried to think of words in other languages that could be substituted here.

Processing...
Search Returned "Nil" results.

This is a real life experience that I still remember clearly and I am unable to describe it properly. I wonder how writers are able to convey things that almost completely exist in their imaginations. It must be pure talent and a command over the language that is really good. Is that it?
I don't think so.
Being a writer requires:
  1. Imagination and creativity
  2. Vocabulary
  3. Skill
  4. Dedication
  5. Perseverance
  6. Patience (especially when writing or typing are both such inefficient ways of recording thought)
  7. A great memory
  8. Experience
  9. A sharp eye
  10. A sharp mind to process information fast, analyse it and record it
  11. Concentration
  12. Coherent thought flow

To my mind, even describing a real event requires imagination. So this list applies to all kinds of writing work. As to describing things or events, what about the aroma and flavour of ghee in sambar rice... (for a change something that I truly enjoy. You know I maybe was not able to talk about the horrid taste of coffee, because it was horrid!) Think... so do I get the right words... nope!

New thoughts:
"Maybe, our language has not evolved enough to contain words for all the tastes and sounds and smells and sights that nature has. We are quite an inefficient lot compared to nature and its marvels (or horrors when it comes to coffee) We don't think in words. We just resort to language to express thought. "

I still wonder if there is a word for it... maybe I should ask somebody else if they can describe it...

No comments: